Thursday, March 20, 2008

How do you eat your jelly...

bean, that is. Is it just an Easter indulgence? Do you pick out your favorite flavor and eat it exclusively or do you scoop and eat by the handful or maybe you don't eat them at all? I'm partial to the cherry flavored beans. That's one of the reasons why our dish looks like this:


In my family's opinion, not all beans are created equal. We love Jelly Belly and Brach's Classic beans but now we need to invite my dad over to eat up the black beans. I guess that's all they had growing up.

Surfing around today I found this cute kids activity with jelly beans. Have the kids plant some jelly beans (because our ground is still frozen we'll do this inside in some cups). Have the kids water them. Then on Easter morning swap the jelly beans with lollipops instead!

Useless trivia
  • there is no jelly in a jelly bean

  • it wasn't until the 1930's that jelly beans became part of Easter traditions

  • because of their egg-like shape they became associated with the Easter bunny who is believed to deliver eggs as a symbol of new life

  • each year the U.S. manufacturers produce more than 16 billion jelly beans for Easter

  • April 22 is National Jelly Bean Day!

Who knew? So what's your favorite bean?

Happy Easter!













2 comments:

Denise said...

I like Jelly Belly jelly beans best. The amount of flavors they have is amazing. We don't have them in the UK so I was only introduced to them when I met my hubby 10 years ago. Saying all that, I don't actually eat them that often. I tend not to have too much candy and sweet stuff.

Anonymous said...

If we are talking traditional Jelly Bean flavors...I eat all the red, then pink, then purple, then white, and leave all the black, green, yellow,and orange ones. If we are talking Jelly bellys, most flavors are wonderful and all worthy of their calories. Starburst Sour Jelly beans are amazing and their is no discriminating involved!